Dr Tim Williams 10 Top Tips for managing pain - a guide for GP’s
Posted by 'PeteMoore' Sat, February 02, 2019
Dr Tim Williams 10 Top Tips for managing pain - a guide for GP's
- Self-Managing with confidence is the aim of management.
- Expect persistent pain to be a Long Term Condition, so you can take your time.
- Listen to the ‘pain story’ from start to finish. (appointment 1)
- Form with patient- person centred goals for their future. (appointment 2 and onwards)
- Metaphors can be used to explain persistent pain concepts to patients.
- Analgesia should be kept simple and effective.
- Neuropathic pain may require special attention.
- Ask about life – It’s not all about the pain. Consider sleep, mood, activity etc.
- Give strong opiates with extreme caution and careful review.
- Encourage continuity with a limited number of involved health care professionals.